Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Grunge Thread
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #586 (permalink)
mr dave
nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTown787 View Post
In my opinion I don't think Jimi really did it to the extent Kurt did, and plus Nirvana not being all that similar to Jimi.
It was pretty much like Kurt was so popular at the time he could put out any song and everyone would love it, stuff like:

Also Cobain so big at the time he would she people what else is out there, bringing The Meat Puppets to MTV Unplugged, performing with the vaselines amongst many other artists.

journalists had to create new expressions to describe hendrix's music. jimi recreated the possibility of what could be done in a 3 piece rock band. nirvana reminded a generation that it's all you really needed to get the job done.

you make it seem like nirvana was pumping out crap and the sycophants would just gobble it up with that '...so popular...' line. that was not the case. tourette's was only released as a single to draw attention to the 'live from the muddy banks of the wishkah' album in 1996. 'hairspray queen' never got much attention if it was ever released as a proper single also. while nirvana has indirectly influenced every whiny depressed 'poet' from every high school across north america into believing they're words are deep, his words actually WERE deep (as opposed to an unending whine about being dumped / pissed off about having to let go of being a kid / becoming 'the man').

showing the masses who else was out there was a staple of 90s alt-rock. that's like giving them extra praise for playing power chords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote