Music Banter - View Single Post - The (English) Beat
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
Whatever dudes. Say what you want, but I though "Signing Off" was fantastic.

I can't tell you what I think of Signing Off because I've never heard it. An album or collection by the Beat titled Signing Off was never releasd the USA. I checked AMG and it isn't in the Beat's back catalog of American releases. Are you sure it's not a bootleg, Rick?

Id' love to get the 2 CD UK retrospective of the Beat known as Beats per Minute issued in 1996. The first CD is a collection of 16 early Beat standards but the bonus cd called Beats Per Minute has 10 unreleased extended remixes and 2 unreleased songs on it. I used to be able to purchase British music downloads at Amazon UK, but recent UK intellectual property laws now say that fobid me from purchasing digital downloads at Amazon UK.

Cover of Beats per Minute

I'll drop an English Beat song every so often during my sound system gigs and inevitably a gaggle of 20-something dancers flock to the booth and ask for the title of the tune. It's interest how the music of the Beat is under the radar of the post Millenium generation even though their music had a crucial impact on the kind of music that is spun on the contemporary underground club scene. The Beat's music has the same sense of immediacy it did in 1980.