Music Banter - View Single Post - The (English) Beat
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piss Me Off View Post
I don't think he's coming back

I had my first listen of their debut today and it was brilliant. I've loved The Specials self titled for ages now, i don't think there's a bad track on it, yet somehow i've managed to ignore most other ska for some reason. I loved the new-wave style guitar on this, reminded me of The Cure's first album.
A lot of the early Jamaican ska was recorded in such primative recording studios that even a digital remaster won't help the sound. A lot of those early ska releases were on 78 rpm single on cheap vinyl made from recycled bowling balls. Until Duke Reid founded Trojan in the late Sixties most ska was recorded under the same primative conditions that American music was recorded under, prior to WW II.

It also took the Jamaican music industry a long time to adapt to the compact disc technology when it came along in the Eighties and a lot of fantastic reggae music from the Eighties is out of issue because the albums were never reissued in in the cd format. One of the reasons I decided to go strictly digital on my music purchases is that there so much more reggae, blues and punk era music available in the MP3 format.

Anybody with a $30 software program and halfway decent computer can convert music on an old vinyl record into MP 3 file and even use mixing software to restore the fidelity and remove sound flaws created by wear and tear to the vinyl. But the old ska music can never be remastered decently because the first issue vinyl product had a horrible sound quality.