Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Child View Post
I just want to say thank you, THANK YOU for putting that Eddy Davis' New Orleans Jazz band video in your thread. I had never listened to any of their music and now I'm just in love with it. Those banjos add so much flavor and interest and the guys who play them are just the cutest things. After the trumpet player does his little wangy notes, I love how the little fat guy matches it on his banjo. And Eddy Davis' voice is just wonderful. Thanks again for opening up my eyes to these guys. They are my new favorite.
Glad you like Fast Eddy's music. I'm totally in love with his music too. The song performed by Eddy's Band, St. James Infirmary, is one of the oldest songs in the American folkways. .

As it so happens, Flower Child's comments provides the opportunity for a seamless segue into my Song of the Day feature which offers four versions of the jazz/blues classic St. James Infirmary.

Song of the Day

Above is a picture of the original sheet music of St. James Infirmary. The composer is listed as "Joe Primrose" which was an alias for a music publishing executive who made a false claim of writting the song to collect sheet music royalties on a public domain song.

St. James Infirmary- Four Different Versions

I first heard a version of St. James Infirmary when I was collecting and doing field recordings of blues and jazz musicians for the Smithsonian folkways collection way back in the Seventies. It was sung by a New Orleans street singer and blues musician named Snooks Eaglin

I thought it was about the coolest song I've ever heard and later on I learned that just about about every jazz and blues performer in New Orleans did some sort of version of the song. Nobody knew who wrote the song. The earliest sheet music credits the song to "Joe Primrose" a long time psuedonym for Irving Mills who ran the largest music publishing house in New York from 1919 until 1965. Irving Mills was not the writer of the song.

The song's origin goes back to the 19th Century and both Blind Willie McTell and Big Bill Broonzy said they first heard versions of St. James Infirmary when they were children in the 1890s. So it's likely that the royalty minded Mr. Mills was engaged in the sleazy act of registering a copyright on a public domain song for his own self enrichment. Keep in mind this was in the era that predated the rise of recorded music and the primary source of royalties were sheet music sales not record sales. Many American families had pianos in their homes and played the popular music of the day on piano, instead of listening to it on a record player. The mass marketing of RCA Victrola record player changed all that, but that's another topic.

St. James Infirmary was first popularized by Louis Armstrong in 1928 and the song has long been linked to the Cresent City jazz and blues tradition.

I've collected over 100 versions of the song by jazz, blues, R&B, folk and rock and roll musicians. My 100 different collected versions is just the tip of the iceberg because there must be 10,000 different versions of the song floating around in cyberspace and private record collections. I even have a version of St. James Infirmary by an Hawiian ukulele player. Some versions of the song are titled Gambler's Blues.

St. James Infirmary is about the saddest song I've ever heard. The songs haunting lyrics have an unadorned authenticity of an everyday conversation.

It's basically a blues song, but the use of minor chords makes it sound more like a funeral dirge. The song opens with a man coming viewing the dead body of his wife (or maybe girlfriend) laid out on a slab in the St. James Infirmary. Most versions have lyrics typical of the Louis Armstrong version:

Quote:
St. James Infirmary (Writer Unknown)

I went down to St. James Infirmary
To see my baby there,
She was lyin' on a long white table,
So sweet, so cool, so fair.

Went up to see the doctor,
"She's very low," he said;
Went back to see my baby
Good God! She's lying there dead.

I went down to old Joe's barroom,
On the corner by the square
They were serving the drinks as usual,
And the usual crowd was there.

On my left stood old Joe McKennedy,
And his eyes were bloodshot red;
He turned to the crowd around him,
These are the words he said:

Let her go, let her go, God bless her;
Wherever she may be
She may search the wide world over
And never find a better man than me

Oh, when I die, please bury me
In my ten dollar Stetson hat;
Put a twenty-dollar gold piece on my watch chain
So my friends'll know I died standin' pat.

Get six gamblers to carry my coffin
Six chorus girls to sing me a song
Put a twenty-piece jazz band on my tail gate
To raise Hell as we go along

Now that's the end of my story
Let's have another round of booze
And if anyone should ask you just tell them
I've got the St. James Infirmary blues
St. James Infirmary ( Version #1 New Orleans Jazz Ensemble Style) - The Old School Band The two guest artists artists on this 1983 live rendition are what makes this video so special. The first guest is the female vocalist Lillian Boutté. During her musical studies at New Orleans' Xavier University, she sang in the gospel choir, before being discovered by Allen Toussaint, who used her as a background singer when producing the likes of James Booker, Patti Labelle, the Neville Brothers, the Pointer Sisters and Dr. John.

The second guest artist is legendary trumpter Doc Cheatham who was a longtime associate of King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Ma Rainey and Cheatham was the lead trumpeter for the Cab Calloway Band an all black jaza orchestra that rivalled the Count Basie and Duke Ellington band for recruiting the most talented black jazz musicians. Cheatham is the guy who emerges from the shadows in dark glasses to take the first solo in the video:

St. James Infirmary ( Version #2 Swedish Blues Style) - Jers, Lindbom & Zetterlund. It's hard to belive that this trio of young musicians is from Sweden because they have the American blues idiom nailed with this harmonica, mandolin, and doublebass instrumental version of the song. All three musicians play with passion, conviction and soul. Filip Jers' use of vibrato on his harmoica playing is quite skillfully rendered.

St James Infirmary (Version #3 Folk Blues Style) - Snooks Eaglin This is that first version of the song by New Orleans street singer Snooks Eaglin and it began my long oddessy to unravel the origins of the song. For all my research on the origins of the song, St. James Infirmary's origins remain as elusive and ambiguous as ever. The true writer of the song has acheived his own kind of immortality by becoming so notably anonymous.

St. James Infirmary (Version #4 New Orleans Piano Style) - Doug Duffey. Doug is an old NOLA homeboy of mine and he plays piano in the ornate style of old school New Orleans blues piano masters. This 1991 live performance by Doug is my currently my favorite version because St. James Infirmary is the kind song that lends itself perfectly to a 3 am rendition in a smokey Bourbon St. after-hours joint, sung a lone piano player with an oversized taxi driver's hat bobbling on the top of his head.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 07-22-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote