Music Banter - View Single Post - 200 greatest guitarists in rock
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #623 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuneman1 View Post
By that definition, after I really learned the guitar, and listened to a lot of different types of music, I realized that Hendrix and Jimmy were very limited in that definition of ability. Both are kinda sloppy players live, and Page rarely wanders out of the minor pentatonic scale for his solos.

Watch these and tell me how this man has no soul, emotion or whatever the hell you nitwits want to call it:
YouTube - Dream Theater - Hollow Years solo by John Petrucci
YouTube - Octavarium - solo end
So what? There's nothing seriously limited about the pentatonic scale, it's the most commonly used scale in music from all around the world. It's the foundation of blues and rock music, and a lot of folk music, and since that's what Page's music is derived from, rather than being derived from neo classical music like Petrucci is, of course he prefers the pentatonic scale.

Saying a guitarist is better based on what kind of scales he uses is just ridiculous. It's all about how you play, not what you play.

I'm no muso, but I don't think I have to be to know that you don't know as much about music theory as you want us to believe.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.
boo boo is offline   Reply With Quote