Music Banter - View Single Post - Electric Guitar 101
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
million dollar basher
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i just need to get this off my chest because it just annoys the crap out of me

an epiphone les paul is NOT the same as a gibson les paul. would you let someone who drives a chevrolet cavalier call it a corvette because they're both 'sports' cars made by chevrolet? hell no.

while there are duds that get through gibson's QA, if you're really to the point of actually needing a gibson you 'should' be able to spot the duds before dropping the dollars.
Yeah. (at least I hope) people aren't going to go drop $1500 on a LP if they have no idea what to expect out of it. But, speaking strictly from my own experience, some of the new Epiphones are comparable to a large portion of Gibsons product line. In fact, I bought an Epiphone LP a while back and I ended up far more satisfied with the tone than my Gibson.

I understand that they're not the same. And while your sports car analogy was appropriate and somewhat thought out, I will say that you can compare the performance of both cars, can't you? Just because the Corvette (or in this case the Gibson) is more expensive than other 'sports' cars made by Chevy, doesn't mean that it is the superior product. That's all I'm saying.
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote