Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dazed and confuzzled
 
Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: England
Posts: 1,551
Default

Well enough of Electric Guitar 101, i miss RockGuitar101



"On Easter morning......."
__________________
I have acquired four score and nineteen difficulties, but a wench cannot be counted among them


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: trapped in a basement
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i just need to get this off my chest because it just annoys the crap out of me

an epiphone les paul is NOT the same as a gibson les paul. would you let someone who drives a chevrolet cavalier call it a corvette because they're both 'sports' cars made by chevrolet? hell no.

while there are duds that get through gibson's QA, if you're really to the point of actually needing a gibson you 'should' be able to spot the duds before dropping the dollars.
Yeah. (at least I hope) people aren't going to go drop $1500 on a LP if they have no idea what to expect out of it. But, speaking strictly from my own experience, some of the new Epiphones are comparable to a large portion of Gibsons product line. In fact, I bought an Epiphone LP a while back and I ended up far more satisfied with the tone than my Gibson.

I understand that they're not the same. And while your sports car analogy was appropriate and somewhat thought out, I will say that you can compare the performance of both cars, can't you? Just because the Corvette (or in this case the Gibson) is more expensive than other 'sports' cars made by Chevy, doesn't mean that it is the superior product. That's all I'm saying.
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

i hear ya MDB, and i've heard great things about the modern epiphone LPs, heck i still enjoy my epi special II every now and again. if i wanted the look of a classic LP i'd definitely consider an epi as well, but i wouldn't be telling anyone i played a les paul. you're right as well when you say they can still be compared but ultimately, whether you like it or not, there's a status symbol factor as well.

a les paul is not an entry level guitar, it's not made for beginners. personally if i see someone playing any sort of gibson or other high end gear i expect them to know their stuff because of the time and effort invested into becoming a musician of that caliber. unfortunately that isn't the case as much anymore with more and more spoiled idiots thinking they need pro gear to be good (but it's great for people keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market).

as for people spending serious cash and not really knowing what to expect, i point you back to the start of this thread, the OP never flat out said it but i'd bet my strat that was the situation.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #24 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post

"On Easter morning......."
my mom picked out my clothes and brushed my hair...



(we could turn this into a song writing thing )
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: trapped in a basement
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i hear ya MDB, and i've heard great things about the modern epiphone LPs, heck i still enjoy my epi special II every now and again. if i wanted the look of a classic LP i'd definitely consider an epi as well, but i wouldn't be telling anyone i played a les paul. you're right as well when you say they can still be compared but ultimately, whether you like it or not, there's a status symbol factor as well.

a les paul is not an entry level guitar, it's not made for beginners. personally if i see someone playing any sort of gibson or other high end gear i expect them to know their stuff because of the time and effort invested into becoming a musician of that caliber. unfortunately that isn't the case as much anymore with more and more spoiled idiots thinking they need pro gear to be good (but it's great for people keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market).

as for people spending serious cash and not really knowing what to expect, i point you back to the start of this thread, the OP never flat out said it but i'd bet my strat that was the situation.

No you're right. There's definitely a class issue present when selecting a guitar. I remember when I was a kid and my dad offered to buy me a pretty nice Epi SG and I told him I'd rather save for a Gibson. I guarantee now that if I'd listened to both guitars through the same amp, I wouldn't have been able to tell you the difference. Not because they're the same guitar, but because I was young and inexperienced. I was more concerned about having "Gibson" on the headstock, which is really a foolish way to go about it.

I mean, I love Reverend guitars, but I never really considered buying one until I saw Billy Corgan playing one.

But yeah, I see people do it every day. I've had to literally hijack sales from people working the floor at GuitarCenter because I knew they were playing the class game with kids, trying to rip them off.

For instance, I saw a salesman try to sell a kid on a Taylor. Even low-end Taylors are expensive anymore, and the kid just wanted a decent starter guitar that would last him for a few years. I pointed out to him that a local shop was selling Seagul guitars and that they had a great sound to them, even for experienced players, and that he would be well advised to check them out before handing the guy his cash. The kid was way more concerned about having that "Taylor" name and forked over the money. I played the same guitar later that week and I still maintain that he was better off going for the Seagul.

But don't get me wrong....I'd go for a good ol' fashioned Gretsch White Falcon before I bought an Ibanez Hollow-body. ; )
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by million dollar basher View Post

But don't get me wrong....I'd go for a good ol' fashioned Gretsch White Falcon before I bought an Ibanez Hollow-body. ; )
i totally hear you on all points (just didn't want to make a long quote). i'm guilty of doing similar things, although when i finally decided to dump well over a grand on a guitar i was old enough to be able to walk away from that cash as if i lost it in a fire. then again i'm no pro so a guitar of that quality and price was pure ego.

on the other hand there is something to be said about actually saving up for a relatively nice piece of gear. by not financing it or dumping onto a credit card you force yourself to really consider all the options and whether or not you really want that piece. it's good for your self-discipline, especially if you're toiling away at the beater you learned on while saving up for your first real quality instrument. it might seem like a long time in the moment but saving up for 9 months for a guitar that is now a teenager doesn't seem that long anymore hahaha

can't say i'm familiar with reverend guitars, they look pretty cool from the site though. my offbeat guitar maker of choice is eastwood guitars, haven't actually tried one yet but they look awesome.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeAndno View Post
Well enough of Electric Guitar 101, i miss RockGuitar101



"On Easter morning......."
HELL YES. THAT GUY WAS AWESOME(ly, incredibly, unbelievably RETARDED)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: trapped in a basement
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i totally hear you on all points
I'll follow your lead and keep the quotes short....but I'll select the bits that pad my ego. /\/\/\ haha

Oh yeah dude, Eastwood guitars are sweet. I remember the first time I saw the White Stripes and Jack was playing what looked like an Eastwood. It could've been a different guitar, but it definitely had the look. I've been wanting to get ahold of one for a while. I played one (or at least my memory tells me that it was an Eastwood....again, it could've been a copy cat) at the Guitar Center on Sunset down in L.A. Their vintage room is beyond reproach....if you're planning on looking and not paying. lol.

Reverend guitars are just solid. They're not spectacular. They just have a good strat-like tone and they're usually pretty modestly priced.

But you're right. I remember when I finally saved enough to get my second strat...and I love walking out of a shop with a few new stomp boxes. For some reason I've never been able to bring myself to compromise on effects. If it's between an EHX pedal or a digitech....I'll always go with EHX even if it means spending $100 more.
million dollar basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by million dollar basher View Post
I remember the first time I saw the White Stripes and Jack was playing what looked like an Eastwood. It could've been a different guitar, but it definitely had the look.
i'm thinking it's the other way around. Eastwood makes replicas of old 60s 'freak' guitars. it's possible that White just chose to use a cheaper replica of his old school Airline guitars but i don't doubt that he owns some of those oldies as well.

as for effects i usually go for used stuff, pawn shops are great for cheap pedals, don't normally pay more than $50-70 for a stomp box unless i'm looking for something specific. as much as i've wanted one for years i just can't bring myself to paying damn near $500 for an EHX bass micro synth hahaha.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
Groupie
 
takamine_x2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oklahoma, USA
Posts: 7
Default

I tend to really like Mr. Dave's answers throughout this topic. My advice would be simply to narrow it down to 5 or six brands and then go in and hold them, play them, see how they feel. Do not consider the kind of music you are going to play - I don't believe anyone that says your style of music is important in picking a brand guitar. People who tell you this are not musicians. I promise you that if you go into a music store and try out several different guitars, then the instrument will choose you.

Also, get yourself a decent amp and develop your own sound, regardless of what brand of guitar you prefer. I've played them all, and have settled with Fenders, and PRS guitars for electric and Takamine and Taylor for acoustic - not because they are the brands I went looking for, but because they were comfortable for me, sounded better to my ear and made me excited to play them. I think that's the key. -- 20 years picking and shredding experience talking.
__________________
Become a rockstar - and more... SlyKatt.com
takamine_x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.