Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #284 (permalink)
NSW
Bigger and Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double X View Post

Lecturing them (which can be equally as painful) about why certain things are wrong is a much better option, as it encourages them to think logically about their actions.
It's true. My mom used to talk to me for hours and hours when I did something wrong, and I would beg her to just beat the sh*t out of me and leave my room so I could go to sleep. Seriously...

But regarding the subject at hand, I kind of think it would be hard to say "it's always wrong" or "it's always right". Different things work with different children, and I think the key is being perceptive enough as a parent to know when spanking is necessary and when something else might work better. Of course, I don't have children, so I could be talkin' out of my ass. I was spanked, but damn I was a hell child and sorta think I deserved it. And I don't feel any worse for it. I don't have violent tendencies and believe I'm semi well adjusted. On the other hand, my brother never got spanked...not because he never did anything wrong, but because simply talking to him about it usually worked. Different strokes I guess.