Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #47 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
In Response to the "Treat me Like your Mother" video post:

I don't think an artist should ever consider what effect their vision will have on other people, that corrupts the art. That's a pretty simple statement sure, but I don't have the energy to give the argument much more then that. I appreciate the thought you gave the topic Gavin and this journal is fucking great, as for cause and accountability it is a nature\nurture issue to me. The blame never gets passed the willing participants and those who fostered the environment that created them.
Well said JJ. As I said I'm the last person that would argue that any art should be censored. You're correct in theory. That doesn't keep the artist from considering the effect his art will eventually have on people.

In fact many avant garde and agit prop arists create art with the sole intention of shocking people.

The artistic process is a deeply personal and rife with both internal and external conflict. The nature of art is defined entirely by a socially mediated process, while the creation visual art is anti-social process that requires the artist to spend ungodly amounts of time alone. Creative writing requires a similar process. Visual artists and writers aren't required to interact with an audience to complete the creative act. In fact it's a bad idea to have an entourage in tow if you're sculpting a statue or writing poetry. The process it quite different from peformance art.

In the case of performance art like music and theater the creative process usually requires the collboration of others and the performance process requires the partcipation of an audience. Even if that audience is one guy sitting at home alone watching a music video. Even when an audience stares blankly into space and doesn't applaud, on some level they are participating in the performance.

Musicians and stage actor are quite often obsessed with the effect their artistic vision and performance skills will have on others because a performancer is an incomplete artist without the auidence. Indeed the participation of the audience has a very big effect on the artistic outcome of the performance.

Nearly performance artist gives a great deal of thought to the effect of his artistic vision on others because others are an intregal participant in the artistic process.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote