Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #95 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktarist View Post
poetry is a depiction, change provides context. I guess there are other ways to achieve context (like a good backstory), but if you don't have context, than a poem falls quite easily under the stare of any sort of skepticism--especially mine. What's funny is that some of my favorite artists completely contradict that philosophy and create songs without context whatsoever. It's a sort of 'learn the rule to break the rule all the way' type o' thing I guess.

No matter how you think or feel about 'im doesn't mean he still can't or (didn't) make you out to be a fool. You never touch a troll whether you like them or not.

The forum doesn't change all that much. But, if your trying to write find the cure to our ailments, than apparently the cure is not working and you have to approach it differently. Questioning us about what moves us would not help you anymore than Edison asking the lightbulb what makes him light up. Of course, you probably already figured that out.

I'm out,
-nick
Hi, Nick,
I agree it can be hard to provide a sense of context for a poem...sometimes it is hard to judge if there is enough of one, or not enough, since of course when I write something I have my whole background of thoughts that give me a context for a poem. This is one reason others' reactions to lyrics are helpful.

One of my favorite songs is "Imagine" by John Lennon...a poem aimed at changing people, a plea for peace, I'd say...and I don't think it has a context really, but I feel it works well and is beautiful. "Imagine" is also an example of a human-centered song, as most are. I never really thought of that until today when I re-read the lyrics and saw Lennon writes: "Imagine all the people Sharing all the world." Who is missing from that equation, that divying up of the earth? Anyone who is not a person. Yet even I didn't think of this until today, and I've loved the song for years. I would not say people or society are "ill" but that there are ways of thinking about things that limit many people, including myself, and constrict our viewpoints. Those are the topics I'm interested in and try to write about in my songs.

About being "made out to be fool": when I was in my 20's I learned not to worry overly much about what others feel about me, such as whether I seem like a fool or not to them (this mindset, incidentally, helps a lot with public speaking). This doesn't mean I don't care about people...I do...but I realize I cannot control people's thoughts and I do not take responsibility for their thoughts--that is their responsibility alone.

I do not label people as fools; perhaps people sometimes do things I feel are foolish (such as believing something with little background information or any desire to learn about the background), but this does not make them "fools." If a few people, or many people, or even *all people* think of me as a "fool" on MusicBanter, that is out of my control--and I think they are probably wrong--but life goes on.

The Unfan, whether "Troll" or not, has been helpful to me by inspiring some song ideas. I do not think of him as a troll (regardless what he feels about himself) because I don't label people. You wrote: "You never touch a troll whether you like them or not." I abhor the concept of Untouchables. I directly asked the Unfan for help and he gave it by answering my question about what his reasons are for eating animals. He answered by saying:
Quote:
They taste good, they're healthy for you, and our bodies are made to be able to consume animals.
This gave me more information than many omnivores have shared with me, even in the 3-D world outside the Internet, because most people refuse to talk about why they eat meat. His comments and ideas have already inspired me to start two songs (with lyrics) and to think about one instrumental song, which I hadn't thought of doing before he joked about it.

Also, Unfan's comments (quoted below) show me he appears to care strongly about people and he is concerned about them being attacked, as he correctly notes some animal rights organizations do. This is helpful: it suggests many people see animal rights as opposing human rights, and so that would be a good area for me to write about.

Your lightbulb metaphor is a nice one (very poetic). However, I get more insight into people's minds by asking questions and thinking about their answers than I do by not asking anything and not receiving anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
It gets worse, PETA affiliates themselves with organizations who arer known for attacking shelters and animal testing facilities. They've even had PETA associates arrested for killing strays in a van and dumping the corpses in random dumpsters. This is a serious health issue for humans. ****, I'm pretty sure PETA isn't pro-animal, but anti-human. If you need news articles I can dig them up.
Hi, Unfan,
Yes, I'm aware of PETA's connections with ALF and I'm aware of the PETA employees who were justifiably arrested for dumping corpses of animals they killed. I'm glad you are interested in issues like these and I understand why it would make you angry. I agree these actions are unethical. Yes, please PM me with links or particular reports if you have ones you especially like.
--Erica
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote