Music Banter - View Single Post - Silversun Pickups
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #108 (permalink)
TheBig3
killedmyraindog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
the pixies are one of those bands that never grabbed me. not sure why, most of my friends were all over them back in the day. i never minded hearing their stuff i just never felt compelled to listen to them on my own. not really hearing their influence in this band nearly as much as the pumpkins.

i never said i didn't like silversun pickups, but i've only heard like a half dozen songs and the only one that really stood out for me was the one on rockband2 (lazy eye). if i want to listen to something that reminds me of the smashing pumpkins i'll dig out my copy of their catalog (if only the first track on gish didn't skip all over the place GRRRR)

as for the female bass player angle i remember corgan saying it was a conscious decision on his part. for some reason he felt that a woman would play the instrument differently than a man, less testosterone = less aggressive playing = more playing of what you're told instead of what you want?

whether or not it's a similar situation or just coincidence in the silversun pickups i don't know, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... i'm gonna call it a duck.
be careful, if it quacks like a duck it could be many other things.

I mention the pixies because of the female bassist (no a perfect circle love?) but theres no influence from them here. In fact I'd guess there the opposite.

With Corgan who is one of the more intriguing msucial figures as of late (albeit obnoxious) often gets compared to John Fogarty for being a control freak with skills. He's said of himself he was a Svengali because he took two people who couldn't play their instruments and made them what they are.

In that regard I personally think he's a genius because, like trades men, he taught them his style of playing to better achieve his sound. I spent some miserable months working to be a framer and they have the same methodology.

Female bass players are starting to become a trend and you can probably name more female bass players than drumers, singers, or guitarists who play in an all male band.

I can't speak to the SSP's bassist though to play the sort of dance-based groves on Panic Switch, you can't be a slouch. honestly haven't listened for her, though the drummer is a monster and you can't be in a lop-sided rhytham section for long.