Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #101 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

Smashing Pumpkins are sooooooo monotonous.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #102 (permalink)
Untalented Drummer
 
scottsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sussex, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,900
Default

Well it would be way off topic for me to launch into a defence of the Smashing Pumpkins right now... suffice to say, I disagree with you...
__________________
"If you're like me, then it's possible you're a clone generated from my stolen DNA. I suggest you turn yourself in for destruction immediately" - Shaun Micallef.
scottsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #103 (permalink)
eat the masters
 
debaserr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,129
Default

i used to love smashing pumpkins and silversun pickups. now they bore me.
__________________
Last.FM
debaserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 AM   #104 (permalink)
Da Hiphopopotamus
 
sweet_nothing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cloud cuckoo land
Posts: 4,039
Default

Other than a similar sound both bands also have, a female bass player, an asian guy, and the same initials SP.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim View Post
America does folk, hardcore and mathrock better and that's 90% of what I give 2 shits on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartsengrafs View Post
sweet nothing openly flaunts the fact that he is merely the empty shell of an even more unadmirable member. his loneliness and need for attention bleeds through every letter he types. edit: i would just like to add that i'm ashamed that he's from texas. surely you didn't grow up in texas, did you sweet nothing?
sweet_nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #105 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
i always thought it was one of the necessary elements of being a sonic youth / smashing pumpkins clone.
No pixies love?

In this thread:

- They do sound like the pumpkins.

- The pumpkins made great music for an entire decade.

- There no logic is "I don't like these guys because they sound like [band]"
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #106 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
No pixies love?

In this thread:

- They do sound like the pumpkins.

- The pumpkins made great music for an entire decade.

- There no logic is "I don't like these guys because they sound like [band]"
the pixies are one of those bands that never grabbed me. not sure why, most of my friends were all over them back in the day. i never minded hearing their stuff i just never felt compelled to listen to them on my own. not really hearing their influence in this band nearly as much as the pumpkins.

i never said i didn't like silversun pickups, but i've only heard like a half dozen songs and the only one that really stood out for me was the one on rockband2 (lazy eye). if i want to listen to something that reminds me of the smashing pumpkins i'll dig out my copy of their catalog (if only the first track on gish didn't skip all over the place GRRRR)

as for the female bass player angle i remember corgan saying it was a conscious decision on his part. for some reason he felt that a woman would play the instrument differently than a man, less testosterone = less aggressive playing = more playing of what you're told instead of what you want?

whether or not it's a similar situation or just coincidence in the silversun pickups i don't know, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... i'm gonna call it a duck.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #107 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2
Default

new album swoon is amazing, its a bit heavier at times, but great overall tone and sound. makes me think of cold winters. does that sound lame?
thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM   #108 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
the pixies are one of those bands that never grabbed me. not sure why, most of my friends were all over them back in the day. i never minded hearing their stuff i just never felt compelled to listen to them on my own. not really hearing their influence in this band nearly as much as the pumpkins.

i never said i didn't like silversun pickups, but i've only heard like a half dozen songs and the only one that really stood out for me was the one on rockband2 (lazy eye). if i want to listen to something that reminds me of the smashing pumpkins i'll dig out my copy of their catalog (if only the first track on gish didn't skip all over the place GRRRR)

as for the female bass player angle i remember corgan saying it was a conscious decision on his part. for some reason he felt that a woman would play the instrument differently than a man, less testosterone = less aggressive playing = more playing of what you're told instead of what you want?

whether or not it's a similar situation or just coincidence in the silversun pickups i don't know, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... i'm gonna call it a duck.
be careful, if it quacks like a duck it could be many other things.

I mention the pixies because of the female bassist (no a perfect circle love?) but theres no influence from them here. In fact I'd guess there the opposite.

With Corgan who is one of the more intriguing msucial figures as of late (albeit obnoxious) often gets compared to John Fogarty for being a control freak with skills. He's said of himself he was a Svengali because he took two people who couldn't play their instruments and made them what they are.

In that regard I personally think he's a genius because, like trades men, he taught them his style of playing to better achieve his sound. I spent some miserable months working to be a framer and they have the same methodology.

Female bass players are starting to become a trend and you can probably name more female bass players than drumers, singers, or guitarists who play in an all male band.

I can't speak to the SSP's bassist though to play the sort of dance-based groves on Panic Switch, you can't be a slouch. honestly haven't listened for her, though the drummer is a monster and you can't be in a lop-sided rhytham section for long.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #109 (permalink)
eat the masters
 
debaserr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,129
Default

grammy nominees for:

Best New Artist:
Zac Brown Band
Keri Hilson
MGMT
Silversun Pickups
The Ting Tings

Earth to Grammy's, Carnavas came out in 2006. Also just noticed, MGMT wtf?
__________________
Last.FM
debaserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #110 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
Well it would be way off topic for me to launch into a defence of the Smashing Pumpkins right now... suffice to say, I disagree with you...
I'd rather hear the defense.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.