Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 AM   #292 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
You leave the kid be and let them learn for themselves what happens when they do something wrong. Hitting just isn't necessary!
What happens when they run away from home because they are tired of being treated like a prisoner of all your time-outs and groundings, and don't fear you enough to stay in lieu of physical punishment? Believe me it will happen. What kind of values are you instilling in this child? Will they ever grow up to respect their elders? Or just grow up to move away from a family they wish they never had? Basically what I'm saying is to re-evaluate your childhood and ask yourself, did you respect your parents? or just figure out new ways to fool them?

Quote:
Kids standing up for themselves, fine. Kids bullying other kids via physical violence is not fine. And countless studies have shown that children who are disciplined physically are more likely to use violence at school, usually NOT for merely standing up for themselves. Their parents teach them that in order to obey they need to be hit. So children believe that if they want another child to do something or act in a certain way than they must be hit.
Throw your staistics at what you will, but how cool is your kid going to look with a black eye sitting outside the princples office after he got beat up? All the bullies say he started the fight, he gets suspended and gets laughed at because he had to call his mommy in to fight his fight? You're going to let him supress that? Good luck.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why would you think it's okay for you and your relatives to physically discipline your child but not a teacher who is a trained professional in disciplining and teaching children? If you think physical discipline is okay, wouldn't you condone teachers using it? Or would you like any other parents simply use physical harm as a means of controlling your children?
Because a teacher who doesn't give two ****s about a kid is much more likely to snap on a child than a relative, I mean how many teachers are ever convicted when they have a school district behind them? I don't trust American schools as far as I can get close to them with drugs and alcohol.

Quote:
Teachers don't use physical discipline on children anymore because they are trained in the field and it is a known fact that physical discipline is ineffective and detrimental. Shouldn't that say something?
No. Teachers are mostly insecure bastards who are taking out their own anger on their children and that is why they should be more closely monitored.

Quote:
I've worked with many, many children and I've never come across one child who needs to learn something through physical discipline. If your child hasn't responded to your form of discipline than obviously you haven't executed it properly or used the right technique.
Are any of them yours? If not then congradulate yourself, because you would have no right to use physical discipline against them in the first place.

Quote:
I'd also just like to say that research has also shown that most parents who use physical discipline do not use it as a systematic disciplining technique. It is usually an act that takes place when they lose their temper or become frustrated that nothing is working.
Now you're talking domestic abuse stats again, which. I HAVE STATED MANY TIMES! ARE NOT RELEVANT IN THIS ARGUMENT!!! I DO NOT ADVOCATE ANY KIND OF PHYSICAL ABUSE IN THIS THREAD!!! AND WILL NOT HAVE MY POINTS SUBJECT TO ANY OF THEIR STATS.

If you want to raise your kid to be clueless of what the real world is all about, go ahead. It will give my kid a head start, and in this competitive economy, I'm sure he could use the edge. Happy time outs to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote