Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 07:23 AM   #293 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
Because a teacher who doesn't give two ****s about a kid is much more likely to snap on a child than a relative, I mean how many teachers are ever convicted when they have a school district behind them? I don't trust American schools as far as I can get close to them with drugs and alcohol.

No. Teachers are mostly insecure bastards who are taking out their own anger on their children and that is why they should be more closely monitored.
Well thanks a lot because I am a student teacher and I am definitely not an insecure bastard who is taking my anger out on children and I AM closely monitored. I am a teacher because I am passionate about working with young people and I have worked hard at university for years in the profession, not to mention gone through rigorous police checks/ personality checks/ violence checks. I can't speak for the US but teachers here do not 'snap' because we are trained to handle these situations. We do 'give two shits' about the children we are teaching because we've gone into the profession to work with children because we enjoy it. Any teacher here who shows the least bit of violence or physical abuse towards children is immediately removed from the education system entirely never to be able to regain a job in the field.

I am seriously offended to hear you say that about teachers because it is an incredibly hard job and every single teacher I know works their ass off and would never, ever have that such attitude towards students and education in general. People like you make me wonder why I ever bothered to work so hard at this job when I'm just labelled as an 'insecure bastard' who takes 'their anger out on children.'

I am highly against teachers physically disciplining children (obviously), I just wanted to know why, if you think teaching kids about the 'real world' involves physical discipline, why you believed only the parents should be able to do it. I just didn't understand why if you believed teaching kids involved a physical element why you wouldn't let teachers do it since they are the primary educators. In fact you didn't even answer that question but instead just tore into the teaching profession and made terrible assumptions about what we do.

Plus how is physical discipline emulating the real world anyway? You don't get smacked when you do something wrong at work. You don't get hit if you don't pay a bill on time. You don't even get physically disciplined by police officers for breaking the law (at least not here anyway.)

Look, if you are living in such a violent world where you NEED to teach your kids what physical discipline is for them to be able to cope in life, then fine! But where I come from it definitely isn't necessary. I wasn't physically disciplined as a child, and I've never come across physical discipline as something I have needed to know in order to 'survive' in the real world. I've got on perfectly fine, and so have pretty much every single other person I know. This is why I have formed this opinion. If your experience is different than so be it. Like I said, I can only speak for the world I am familiar with. If where you come from you need to know violence in order to cope with real life then do what you must.

And I really don't appreciate all that derogatory stuff you said about teachers.

By the way, do you have children? Because until you have a child you will never really understand what parenthood is actually like. And yes I've had a child.

Last edited by Astronomer; 08-09-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote