Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #300 (permalink)
crash_override
Seemingly Silenced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Well thanks a lot because I am a student teacher and I am definitely not an insecure bastard who is taking my anger out on children and I AM closely monitored. I am a teacher because I am passionate about working with young people and I have worked hard at university for years in the profession, not to mention gone through rigorous police checks/ personality checks/ violence checks. I can't speak for the US but teachers here do not 'snap' because we are trained to handle these situations. We do 'give two shits' about the children we are teaching because we've gone into the profession to work with children because we enjoy it. Any teacher here who shows the least bit of violence or physical abuse towards children is immediately removed from the education system entirely never to be able to regain a job in the field.

I am seriously offended to hear you say that about teachers because it is an incredibly hard job and every single teacher I know works their ass off and would never, ever have that such attitude towards students and education in general. People like you make me wonder why I ever bothered to work so hard at this job when I'm just labelled as an 'insecure bastard' who takes 'their anger out on children.'

I am highly against teachers physically disciplining children (obviously), I just wanted to know why, if you think teaching kids about the 'real world' involves physical discipline, why you believed only the parents should be able to do it. I just didn't understand why if you believed teaching kids involved a physical element why you wouldn't let teachers do it since they are the primary educators. In fact you didn't even answer that question but instead just tore into the teaching profession and made terrible assumptions about what we do.

Plus how is physical discipline emulating the real world anyway? You don't get smacked when you do something wrong at work. You don't get hit if you don't pay a bill on time. You don't even get physically disciplined by police officers for breaking the law (at least not here anyway.)

Look, if you are living in such a violent world where you NEED to teach your kids what physical discipline is for them to be able to cope in life, then fine! But where I come from it definitely isn't necessary. I wasn't physically disciplined as a child, and I've never come across physical discipline as something I have needed to know in order to 'survive' in the real world. I've got on perfectly fine, and so have pretty much every single other person I know. This is why I have formed this opinion. If your experience is different than so be it. Like I said, I can only speak for the world I am familiar with. If where you come from you need to know violence in order to cope with real life then do what you must.

And I really don't appreciate all that derogatory stuff you said about teachers.

By the way, do you have children? Because until you have a child you will never really understand what parenthood is actually like. And yes I've had a child.
I guess this is what happens when people take posts both way too literally and personally. I apologize if you felt grouped into the teachers comment, I would like to elaborate by saying that it would foolish of me to believe this is the case with all figures in todays educational fieldand it was most defiantely foolish of me to post in the first place. Consider this a sincere apology for not choosing my words more carefully. Also let it be known that I am not here to change anyone's way of thinking, merely defending my own where it was attacked much closer to the op.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJamJah View Post
This is out of control:

Crash I'm not going to discuss this with you anymore, you are incredibly ignorant, almost everyone of your points is way or base or hypocritical, you should apologize to Lat for your comments on teachers, as a former teacher myself I can't believe how far off you are on what and why most of them teach.

Here's all I'll say to show you just how absurd your claims are: If teachers can be trusted to discipline children in schools where their job is on the stake, how come they can discipline their own children at home?

I recommend saving everything you've written in this conversation and reevaluating it in 5-10 years when you grow up and if you don't see how ridiculous what your saying is then, kill yourself.
What makes these sort of comments necessary? Believe it or not, I have a lot of respect for you and your point of view on most things JJJ. For the record, I thought you to be a lot more level headed than this, and again I apologize if you took anything I've said too literal or personal. Consider the argument over. I feel I have made my point very clear and it has obviously been received with burning torches. I only hope that my point of view will receive the same open eyes and open minds that I have given yours someday.

p.s. Your snapping and attacking comments in the same post in which you inform us of your teaching experience, does support my argument. I certainly hope those aren't the sort of things you would say to student who questioned something you had taught. Also, please accept my apology for the original teachers comment, I would love to think I was completely wrong in everything that was said in that comment. That is one point in which I would embrace being proven wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEY
"Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told".
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote