Music Banter - View Single Post - Shoulders of Giants
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Akira
Dazed and confuzzled

Default Shoulders of Giants

I'm going to cut against the grain here and discuss the big names in music history. I'll take a brief look at what they did and the influence they had on future acts. There will be no unknown people here, all bands or artists will be well known, even if it's by name alone, but hopefully one or two people will find it interesting enough to explore the music of those who shaped the course of music.

There will also be suggested albums for further listening, which may be a classic album or may be a compilation depending on the artist, as well as sample tracks from YouTube to give a taste for those who have yet to hear anything by them. The articles will be short and concise, just a quick intro and the reasons they deserve their place in history. The reason for this journal is simple: there is a lot of forum activity for current artists and new artists and lesser known acts. However, the big names in music, despite being important, don't get much of a look in these days (see George Harrison thread) and surprisingly some people are completely unaware of what they have done, what they sound like, who they have influenced and so on. So anyone who isn't aware, which will hopefully be in the minority here, can eventually browse through here and pick out someone they want to explore but were too afraid to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote