Music Banter - View Single Post - Indie Band Names
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Jaybird119
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I think indie gets too much crap for bad band names and I think other genres are just as guilty. I don't know why everyone picks on indie for it, I mean we have My Chemical Romance, Bullet For My Valentine, Matchbox 20, Mr. Mister, Goo Goo Dolls, Enuff Z'nuff, etc. Bad band names are common in every genre, people need to stop picking on indie for it just because the !!!'s get popular. Actually I'd say the worst genre for this is really that whole mtvmo scene because it's very rare they even have a good band name.

I try not to judge bands before listening to them especially because some bands with horrid band names are actually really good, take My Bloody Valentine for instance.

I agree with you completley. Indie artists are bullied for making the same mistakes with naming their band as pop, rock, etc. artsists b/c indie is kind of the loner kid on the music scene, the only one with a real soul and meaning so they stand out. i honestly dont think that a bands name should really define anything about them, or even the titles of their songs. all it should really be about is the meaning and lyrics of a song and the bands music playing abillites. that way, sell out artist like green day (who have made millions of dollars by playing 3 riffs over and over in every song) would be the outcasts while all the real musicans could get the recognition they deserve without the fear of selling out and losing their soul in this dog eat dog business.
Jaybird119 is offline   Reply With Quote