Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Indie & Alternative
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 16
Default

a lot of bands just use a long name, with out-of-the-ordinary comparisons and strange visuals to try to sound poetic and artistic. it may be an overcompensation for their lack of creativity. But granted that this is not only limited to indie bands. But when a band goes mainstream and gets signed to a big label, I'm sure that the label tells them if their name is stupidly long and makes them change it....dirty sell-outs.
flightlessthoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,056
Default

i love the names for indie/folk bands because they aren't like anybody else. album titles i think are the same way especially with Modest Mouse "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" although that album is amazing. I think the titles give more on about what the album would be like too. in some ways.
under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Crowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 699
Default

Yeah but how do you measure their creativity? The Beatles commissioned a renowned artist to design the white album cover - have you seen the white album cover? Is that creative? You have to be careful with that statement, boyo.
__________________
Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM   #14 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
under's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,056
Default

well ill say that most are creative. but the white album cover was also unique which is what i was getting at with indie names being so long but it suits who they are. The Beatles did have a unique but amazing sound which is what the album cover could reflect. Either way my opinion could mean anything. psh.
under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

I was wondering this myself (sorry to bump a year old thread)...
I've come to the conclusion that the indi musicians, growing up in our generation, figure that a really long, obscure phrase for a band name ensures that when people google them, you get to their myspace.

Think about it, if I were to name a band "The Wasps", how many results would google pull up for that? A ton.

Now if my name was "One story in Cherryville", I'd get for or five google pages dedicated to me.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

I can't believe I didn't write it at the time, but the name thats always bothered me is "Division of Laura Lee." I've never heard of them much after their arrival but everything about them pissed me off, especially the name.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
you know what it is
 
simplephysics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonace View Post
I was wondering this myself (sorry to bump a year old thread)...
I've come to the conclusion that the indi musicians, growing up in our generation, figure that a really long, obscure phrase for a band name ensures that when people google them, you get to their myspace.

Think about it, if I were to name a band "The Wasps", how many results would google pull up for that? A ton.

Now if my name was "One story in Cherryville", I'd get for or five google pages dedicated to me.

I really don't think anyone would name their band based on google accessibility.. but I can see your point. I think it's more a case of making sure the name is something that's memorable.
__________________
one font under god
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I could be cute if I wanted to be, I just choose not to because you wouldn't be able to handle yourself.
simplephysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Jaybird119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I think indie gets too much crap for bad band names and I think other genres are just as guilty. I don't know why everyone picks on indie for it, I mean we have My Chemical Romance, Bullet For My Valentine, Matchbox 20, Mr. Mister, Goo Goo Dolls, Enuff Z'nuff, etc. Bad band names are common in every genre, people need to stop picking on indie for it just because the !!!'s get popular. Actually I'd say the worst genre for this is really that whole mtvmo scene because it's very rare they even have a good band name.

I try not to judge bands before listening to them especially because some bands with horrid band names are actually really good, take My Bloody Valentine for instance.

I agree with you completley. Indie artists are bullied for making the same mistakes with naming their band as pop, rock, etc. artsists b/c indie is kind of the loner kid on the music scene, the only one with a real soul and meaning so they stand out. i honestly dont think that a bands name should really define anything about them, or even the titles of their songs. all it should really be about is the meaning and lyrics of a song and the bands music playing abillites. that way, sell out artist like green day (who have made millions of dollars by playing 3 riffs over and over in every song) would be the outcasts while all the real musicans could get the recognition they deserve without the fear of selling out and losing their soul in this dog eat dog business.
Jaybird119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Grotesque Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 121
Default

I was a little put off listening to The Brian Jonestown Massacre because of their name. Got over it though.
__________________
Last.FM
Grotesque Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
VICTORY SCREEEEEEECH
 
Antonio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Are you a cop?
Posts: 3,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird119 View Post
I agree with you completley. Indie artists are bullied for making the same mistakes with naming their band as pop, rock, etc. artsists b/c indie is kind of the loner kid on the music scene, the only one with a real soul and meaning so they stand out. i honestly dont think that a bands name should really define anything about them, or even the titles of their songs. all it should really be about is the meaning and lyrics of a song and the bands music playing abillites. that way, sell out artist like green day (who have made millions of dollars by playing 3 riffs over and over in every song) would be the outcasts while all the real musicans could get the recognition they deserve without the fear of selling out and losing their soul in this dog eat dog business.
lolwut


you're talking about indie, right?




nah, just kidding, but there's other genres that can posess those qualities as well, you know. and with band names, i don't really care about how sh*tty a band's name is, and believe me, i've heard some sh*tastic ones, i'll give them a listen.
__________________
Been making some new music lately, check it out

My MB Journal-I talk about music and stuff!

add me on Steam!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/commandercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave
isn't this one of the main reasons for this entire site?

what's next? a thread made specifically to banter about music?

Last edited by Antonio; 08-14-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.