Music Banter - View Single Post - these are songs you guys look at my songs!!!
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hey asshat,
I'll review this song since of course it deals with a topic I feel is especially interesting.

First, subject matter: you deal with the issue of free choice and governmental power over society very concisely in your song. As you probably know, China uses economic sanctions currently to try to get urban dwellers to limit the number of children they have to 1 per couple. As a graduate student from China told me, no other country in the world was offering to take care of all their millions of people, so they had to come up with their own solution. You might be interested to know that increasing people's economic stability (such as with social security and retirement income) and health care is one of the best, most effective ways to get people to reduce their number of children without violating what many people view as a human right (the right to have as many children as they want, whether or not they can afford them). So, this population solution that emphasizes using people's own wisdom and freedom of choice is similar to what your song advocates as you show how awful it is when people are not allowed to make choices.
.....I suppose...to be honest it was based on a bunch of sci-fi cliches....like soylent green which is one of my favorite movies.I suppose China is eerily similar to a lot of the fictional dystopias. It's not so much a critique as an inevitability...we won't be able to live as luxuriously as we do now...red meat's not very healthy and they probably will come up with an abundant and nutritious paste.

I wish I could offer your level of critique, thank you erica.