Music Banter - View Single Post - 100 Songs from the Golden Age of Reggae
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #61 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Rarities and Out of Issue Dept.

Bad Weed- Junior Murvin & Lee Perry Many reggae or Clash fans will recogize this riddim as Police and Theives a big hit for Junior Murvin. This Lee Perry dub remix is about the rudest dub remix I've ever heard him do and that's saying a whole lot about a producer who used samples of cow mooing in his dub effects. Shortly into the song Perry hits a fog horn blast that makes your jump out of your skin if you're not ready for it.

Black Star Liner -Reggae Regular I first heard this song at a dancehall in Sav La Mar in 1978. I searched the bins of Gregory Isaacs' African Museum record store, Joe Gibb's store and Randy's Records and couldn't find it anywhere. Now by accident, I come across it on You Tube three decades later. This is the full 9 + minute song and dub version on the original 12" issue by Greensleeves.

Marcus Garvey 1924

Black Star Line- Fred Locks Another song inspired by Marcus' Garvey's Black Star Liner Company an effort by Marcus to repatriate American black citizens back to Africa via ocean going luxury liner. Garvey's Universal Negro Improvment Association (UNIA) was the largest black organization in history with over 2 million dues paying members. Nobody, not Martin Luther King, Malcom X nor Jesse Jackson had as large a following as Garvey.

Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote