Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Schizotypic
Souls of Sound Sailors

Second wave feminism is mostly responsible for the degradation of woman who aren't rough and tough. Third wave is more modern, it has to do with personal empowerment. Bikini Kill wrote words like "bitch" and "slut" on them during a concert to prove they are just words, and they dress however slutty they want- that's the idea, is that it doesn't matter.

Even so, there is a considerable difference between choosing to be skanky looking because you want to (I don't know who would want to) and doing so in order to feel good about yourself. Third Wave feminism, again, I don't think have any problem with these woman. Maybe they have some anger as they understand why she is dressing that way, but I'm sure it's mostly a considerable amount empathy as it's a universal struggle.

By universal, I really do mean universal. I think your not thinking hard enough, for instance, would you ever wear a dress? So, who exactly says you can't wear a dress? Who would have a problem with you wearing a dress? Why? See, it's not just woman, feminism is for equal rights- especially socially speaking. There are social rules connected to both woman and men, which lead to judging. This judging is what we grow-up in, so it seems normal, but it's hard to find acceptance when nobody around has any shred of humility past the "rules". You would be surprised how self-destructive some people can become from not having acceptance, it is an emotional need you know.

In conclusion, I disagree with you. Most feminism today is 3rd wave and focused on self-empowerment, not the judging of other females like 2nd wave feminism. You have to understand, there has been a great, great deal of oppression against females even up to today. Society has it's rules, it's unrealistic (and perfectionist) expectations, and it's glorification of unhealthy and degrading behaviors, and that in and of itself is oppressing. Honestly I'm not super-educated on this subject, but I know my points are really just the tip of the iceberg. Maybe next time you feel a resentment against something you should research it before you condemn it, as feminism is probably working for you to have rights you don't even realize your being striped of.