Music Banter - View Single Post - Radical Feminism *WARNING* There is a pic of Beth Ditto involved
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 AM   #40 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Now I don't think men and women are completely equal in my country, but I agree with Ant that they can never be truly equal in all aspects, we're biologically different, we can't be truly the same. Though of course we should all have as many equal rights as possible.
Well I agree with this completely. Of course men and women can't be absolutely identical in the ways we live our lives because we are biologically different. We will never truly be equal in all aspects, because like you said, we can't truly be the same. And this doesn't disadvantage women, or men, it's just the fact that we are biologically different. But we should strive to have as many equal rights as we can.

I know biology is a part of human nature that will never go away, but it's not my fault that an accidental pregnancy would affect me in a hugely negative way and not affect the father in the same way. Getting fired from a job because of your biological makeup just isn't fair and I will never believe that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Heh, I'm sure a lot of people know what it's like. Sexism isn't the only form of discrimination in the world, or even racism, classism, ageism, homophobia, xenophobia or religious prejudice. It's all different kinds of ridiculous things.
Exactly, this is 100% true. Feminism isn't the only form of discrimination in the world and I think a lot of feminists fail to see this. Women aren't the only ones who get discriminated against. Men are discriminated against in many cases too. So are other people who may belong to a particular race, or religion, or culture, or sexual orientation.

All in all, I agree with you entirely that radical feminism is ridiculous. Feminism should fight for equal rights as much as it is possible. Of course there are biological difference between men & women; we will never be identical, we are different in our ways, and that is fine. But as I said earlier... things like getting fired from your job just because of biology and nature, something you cannot control, is unfair. It's things like this that feminism should be aiming to address. Not whether women should wear lipstick or shave their armpits or go against their natural appearance and look like men... I consider myself 'feminist' in a way but I don't believe in that kind of nonsense at all.

Like I said, being a woman, I can truly say that all this radical feminism stuff actually diminishes the choices women have. Because if I choose to look feminine, or if I choose to be a mother and stay and home and raise children, I would be criticized by them despite it being my own choice! It's just... stupid.