Music Banter - View Single Post - 432 hz
Thread: 432 hz
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausforest View Post
It's not a case of better or worse, it's a matter of taste, and whilst I wont say that tuning an instrument at 432Hz will always sound better but if you can use it well, you can get some great, unique sounding music
Um. No. You can get the EXACT SAME MUSIC, just tuned an infinitismal amount lower. It doesn't change the mathematical relationships between the notes in any way whatsoever.

As a case in point, production techniques in the 80's resulted in many albums being accidentally tuned down by a quarter tone or so, including megadeth's 'peace sells...but who's buying?', some older exodus, older metallica, etc which, to play along with in tune, you have to set your concert A on the tuner, to 430Hz, or just below, in the region of 427.8Hz.

The fact that these albums are tuned down a quarter tone doesn't make them any better or worse, it just makes them TUNED SLIGHTLY LOWER.

Just the same as tuning down a half step results in music of EXACTLY THE SAME EFFECT, except that now the vocalist isn't straining their voice.

Anyone who thinks they can identify tuning that precisely as an actual effect, has far, far better hearing than any audiophile or musician I have ever met. And by that, I mean 'Doesn't actually have good hearing at all, just a literal imagination and a lot of gullibility'

Edit - As an aside, my tuner allows me to tune to 432Hz if need be. I challenge ANYONE ON EARTH to listen to two recording of me playing guitar for a minute in both tunings, and identify which was which, let alone tell me which was better solely because of the tuning.

Think I won't? Then you should bear in mind that I did almost EXACTLY that on another forum when debating solid state recording vs analogue. I recorded my line 6 pod going through 16 different patches, all of which with speaker and poweramp emulation, and asked the so called 'tone purists' of the forum to identify which were analogue and which were solid state.

Surprise surprise, a whole bunch of those pretentious ****s assumed that I had used a valve amp in some of the clips. They cried all kinds of foul when I 'revealed' that it was ALL solid state, and that their so called golden ears were lying to them.

----------------
Now playing: Parliament - Ride On
via FoxyTunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote