Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Animal?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #109 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

I take a pretty good interest in animals/insects that are part of a large... I don't really remember the word for it... insect civilization? It's not the proper term, but you know what I mean.

Bees, ants, and birds that flock together... The patterns they live by and how each of them has a role that's influenced by nature and results in the success of the whole. It's interesting to observe the mechanics of how it all works, and how loyal those instincts are.
It's as though these types of colonies aren't really about the individual insect itself, but was constructed by nature with the concept, as a whole, in mind.

In any case, the whole thing is fascinating.
I'm not too big on lone creatures. There isn't much of a dynamic that keeps my attention with solitary creatures, although I do find semi-solitary adaptable creatures to be interesting.
Every night when I'm smoking I take stock of the 20 + Mediterranean House geckos that live on the inner eaves of my porch. (I keep the porch light on for them, as it attracts their food).
I haven't actually researched the family tendencies of Geckos, because I wanted to try and figure it out on my own first, but I've noticed that they're not as territorial as Anoles, and they most likely give up their young at a very early age, as I frequently see baby Geckos alone, close to the ground, and typically during daylight hours scavenging for food in the grass until they acquire the instinct to move upwards.
I love the adaptability MHG's have though.
They don't really have any natural predators out here, so it's interesting to see how they restructure their tendencies to apply to the environmental situation.