Music Banter - View Single Post - Do we really exist?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
VeggieLover
Music?! Lets boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Veggie lover... I assume you believe that if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, that it doesn't make a sound. (If I'm wrong, correct me, but I'm using this as an example)

When the tree falls, it does produce the vibrations that, because of compression in the atmosphere and the behavior of waves, produce the physical phenomena we perceive as sound.
Now... You, or someone else, may argue that if we're not there to perceive it, that it does not exist.
But logic argues against that, simply by science having proven that this occurrence is inevitable and fact. Just because we are not there to acknowledge the fact does not mean it is no longer a fact.

What that means is that regardless of whether we philosophically believe we exist or not, can we simply disregard the physical evidence to the contrary? If we do, then we nullify every scientific discovery or knowledge ever acquired.
I'm pretty sure you solidly believe in the reality of certain things. You wouldn't put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, or walk out into a busy intersection because you know the physical repercussions of what would happen.
How can you deny that?
When is real real enough for you?
What is the point of questioning that and how far do you take it?
and here we finally come to the root of the issue (yay!) (no sarcasm intended).

I do, in fact, believe in the same basic reality that you accept. For one thing, its easier, thats what most people believe, including most of the scientists that established what is now considered basic knowledge. In this reality that you and I accept, yes, a tree will fall in the forest and make quite a loud noise.

HOWEVER, when we stick our big toes into the warm waters of alternate perceptions of reality, the issue of the tree becomes infinitly more complicated. The question is no longer 'does a tree falling in the forest still make a sound if no one is there to hear it' but 'does the tree fall at all?' or 'is there a tree?' You and i accept the fact that gravity pulls things toward the center of the earth and that evey so often an old tree will succumb to this force, fall, and make a noise. But, just because we accept it doesnt mean its "true." There are a whole manner of things that "disprove" common scientific beliefs. polarity therepy helps hundreds of people and manages to "exist" in the same reality where gravity holds things down and energy is what makes the lightbulb work.

Western science ignores skads of things, things that eastern science has incorperated for centuries. While im no expert, my step-dad was a polarity therapist, and experienced first hand things that "modern medicine" often writes off as witchcraft or nonsense. The whole concept of "dark matter" and "dark energy" challenge a good deal of what we thought we knew.

It doesn't matter what you believe, there is always going to be some evidence somewhere in some form that could be used to inspire doubt in that foundation -- thus the neccesity of faith. Regardless of what I believe, or what you believe, it is important (in my eyes) to be able to take a step back and see the world in a new and alternative way. It excersises the mind, strengthens the faith, and gives you a new perspective as to whats important in life. It helps you to learn and reduce your ignorance factor. I can maintain the integrity of my basic beliefs while still exploring the possibility of others. If something comes along to change my mind, all the better.
"Not remotely! Because iocaine comes from Australia, as everyone knows. And Australia is entirely peopled with criminals. And criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you."
VeggieLover is offline   Reply With Quote