Music Banter - View Single Post - Flower Child's
Thread: Flower Child's
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 PM   #95 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower Child View Post
SONG: I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night)
ARTIST: The Electric Prunes
ALBUM: The Electric Prunes

What can I say, The Electric Prunes are something else. "I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night" has taken the place of "Mami Me Gusto" as most played song in my library. In the past, I have really just skimmed the surface of the psychedelic genre. Partly because this genre scared me off a bit with its extremely eccentric and almost haunting aura. But the more I listened to Donovan, The Doors, and other edgy psychedelic bands, the more I craved something a little more wild and wacky. Then I came across The Electric Prunes in TheCellarTapes's journal and I had a little listen. The rest was history because this band was exactly what I was looking for.

The song had me won over as soon as I heard that bazaar grinding beginning and the vocalist's crazed voice. The instruments used just really blow my mind. So many weird little exotic knick-knacks of instruments used, and I can't keep track, all I can do is just enjoy how awesome they are. My favorite part of the song is at the beginning when he is singing gently about the girl and her perfume etc, and the violins(?) screech dramatically and the music takes a maddening turn. The title is pretty clever, as are the lyrics of the song, which only makes it that much more of a masterpiece.

Since I am still just beginning to delve further into the psychedelic genre, I would love it if anyone has a suggestion of another song like this one that they would recommend. I have been frequenting TheCellarTapes's thread and psychedelic thread alot but I am overwhelmed on what to try first. So if you guys could narrow it down a little for me based on this band that would help greatly!
The Electric Prunes were great. Listen to the idosyncratic song structures and mind bending electric guitar solos in these two songs by the EPs. Their primary producer was a guy named David Axelrood, an eccentric genius who worked at Capitol Records and also produced jazz artists like Lou Rawls and Cannonball Adderly.

In the late sixties Axelrod was held in as high esteem as producers like Phil Spector, George Martin and Brian Wilson. Axlerod finally burned out because of his heroin and cocaine use but he was a true psychonaut who is widely admired by current remix and breaks/beats artists like DJ Shadow, Chris Joss and David Holmes.

Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote