Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beginner's Guide to...
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #253 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

The Beginner's Guide to Gift of Gab

Gift of Gab is quite possibly one of the most talented and versatile MC's to ever be discovered in the Hip Hop scene. With a rapid fire delivery mixed with internal rhymes, allusions, metaphors, and tongue twisters it's pretty easy to see why he's been able to rise to the level of fame that he has reached. Universally respected amongst the Underground he is truly a shining example of the amazing level of skill that comes with Hip Hop. He was the first MC I ever really got into with the song "Alphabet Aerobics", rapping his way through the alphabet, going faster and faster. I was in awe after I heard it and immediately went out looking for everything I could find. I first started off with the three Blackalicious albums where he is the MC while Chief Xcel takes over beat making. Blackalicious is his most well known project, however he has released one solo record entitled 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up. In 2008 he joined a hip hop "supergroup" with Lateef the Truth Speaker of Latyrx called The Mighty Underdogs that released the debut album Droppin' Sciene Fiction. I've taken what I think to be his best work and created one mix that will hopefully create some new fans and open up previously reserved people to Hip Hop music like what happened to me.

As always band names are bolded
Albums are always Italicized
Song Titles are "quoted"

01. "World of Vibrations" - Blackalicious - The Craft
02. "Rat Race" - Gift of Bad - 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up
03. "Clockwork" - Blackalicious - A2G EP
04. "Rhythm Sticks" - Blackalicous - The Craft
05. "So Sad" - The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction
06. "First In Flight" - Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
07. "Deception" - Blackalicious - Nia
08. "Ill Vacation (ft. Lyrics Born)" - The Mighty Underdogs - Droppin' Science Fiction
09. "Writz" - Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up
10. "Alphabet Aerobics" - Blackalicous - A2G EP
11. "My Pen and Pad" - Blackalicious - The Craft
12. "Ego Trip (ft. Nikki Giovanni)" - Blackalicious - Nia
13. "Escape (ft. Mr. Lif & Akrobatik)" - The Mighty Underdrogs - Dropping Science Fiction
14. "Side To Side" - Blackalicious - The Craft
15. "Ride On" - Gift of Gab - 4th Dimensional Rocketships Going Up
16. "Purest Love" - Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow

LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote