Music Banter - View Single Post - Lateralus' songs.
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hi Lateralus,
I feel your song is lovely...sweet and sentimental (not sappy). I feel there is nothing at all sappy about missing a friend and having emotions about that person and the loss...those are beautiful feelings and much more preferable than when people feel disconnected from, and unaffected by, others.

I just have one recommendation. As I listened to the song I noticed that in the bridge (in bold above) every word in the last three lines was sung using the same note (in other words, this section was monotone):

I felt myself expecting and wanting some more soaring notes (higher notes) in this bridge section to emphasize it and make it sound distinct from the song's verses and chorus. Still, I feel the song is very nice as it is.

I especially liked this line, "Sneaking out windows, caught by the fly screen," because for me it symbolizes the overall message of the song, which I see as the speaker wanting to be with the friend, but feeling caught through love for the land and for her home, and thus not wanting to leave, even as she sees the friend doing so and she yearns for the past they had together.

Hmm...you asked for title suggestions...the image that sticks in my mind is of the young person pressed up against the screen of her home, watching her friend/loved-one leaving, having the ability to break through the barrier and follow if she wants to, but choosing not to go even though it is hard to be the one left behind. Since the song deals again and again with seeing...both seeing the past and seeing the images and events as if they were happening again, would "View" work as a good title for your song?

--Erica
Hey VEGANGELICA, thanks for the tips!

The song is actually about my parents moving overseas for work when I was about 17 and I decided to stay in Australia because I loved it so much and couldn't bear to leave. In retrospect I wish they had convinced me to go with them because aged 17 onwards I had no parental influences and struggled a little. So yeah.

'View' would indeed be a fitting name! And as for the bridge, I wish I did sing it with higher notes or differing notes but I'm really not a singer so I didn't want it to end up sounding crappy.

But yeah everything I post here is pretty much just messing around and work-in-progresses. So thanks so much for the encouragement/ advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleigh. View Post
Lateralus, that song about your friend Amy was beautiful.
it was so emotive. i had goosebumps & all!
i cant really think of anything else to say, but i really enjoyed that
honestly keep it up!
Thank you