Music Banter - View Single Post - VEGANGELICA's Collection
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #118 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unfan View Post
I think it is just the whole concept. Adam & Eve is boring subject matter and there is no good way to play it up. It just doesn't work.
Hmm, Unfan, your quote above makes me wonder if you felt the subject matter of "Garden" was, literally, Adam and Eve, because this was not my intention. That is one reason I wrote in the song:

Quote:
You were no Adam and I was no Eve
when you said if we ever were told we must leave
we would go side-by-side, hand-in-hand, happily
for a lifetime of knowledge
with me.
The subject matter of the song (as I view it) is actually the violation of Kant's ethical theory of the Categorical Imperative that people should not use others as a means to an end. In my song "Garden," the "fruit" represents some action that one person, having an ulterior motive, wants another to do. In "Garden" one person is using the other as a means to an end. The end he seeks is satisfaction of his lust, which he achieves by telling the woman lies. There is no "snake" or "serpent" in this garden lying to the woman...instead the serpent is man. On a broader scale, the song is supposed to represent that the whole story of Adam and Eve (religion) is an example of humans with ulterior motives (such as a desire among religious leaders for power) lying to other people (the masses of followers).

It interests me that you feel the Adam and Eve story is so uninteresting, Unfan, because to me any story that is the foundation of several religions (Christianity and Judaism, plus others) in which over 2 billion believe is *fascinating*. I'm also interested in the story of Adam and Eve because I see it as being so full of hypocrisy, cruelty, and irrationality.

I'll be curious what you think of the song if you listen to it when I record it. (I'm trying to memorize the guitar part right now so I don't botch it too terribly during recording). "Garden" is actually one of my favorite songs to play and sing because I have a lot of anger in me that I get out through the song. Maybe you'll relate to the anger even if you don't like the lyrics.
--E
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-14-2009 at 12:24 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote