Music Banter - View Single Post - Vanilla's Eargasms
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Her voice is an aquired taste but I like her music. Her voice reminds me of a cross between Cyndi Lauper and Amy Winehouse. Her voice sounds authenically raspy at times but she has no problems hitting the note of the upper registers that are needed to be a decent soul singer. Her phrasing is influenced by Billie Holliday but that's a pretty common trait among many jazz/blues/soul song stylists.

I would have guessed she was black had I not seen her in the videos first. I'll defintiley more of her stuff.

You can get a good idea of her full vocal range on the song Easy Come Easy Go, which is the most challenging of the three songs from the standpoint of vocalist. These Roses is a well written song but it doesn't require the full octave leap into falsetto/soprano she uses on Easy Come Easy Go.

There is still controversy among vocal pedagogists on whether women actually are substituting falsetto for the upper portion of the modal voice. It's my belief that the falsetto registers is not as pronounced in female voices as it is in male voices.

Whether she is singing falsetto or is gifted pure soprano range doesn't matter because Gin Wigmore, despite her unusual vocal approach, hits the the right notes in the upper registers and does so convincingly.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote