Music Banter - View Single Post - these are songs you guys look at my songs!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
asshat
king of sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Hello again, "these are songs you guys look at my songs!!!"

The first poem seems to be about a person in an insane asylum, and struck me as sad because of the critical way in which the man is viewed, as if he were repellent. It included interesting details that appeal to me (the type of food, the loafers, the urination). They make the poem feel very solid and specific to me...very physical. The "obsenities" poem, I feel, describes how people sometimes seem to think (incorrectly) that the more swearwords they use, the more likely the listener is to be convinced of something. The final poem, "Neutality," is, I think, a criticism of how people can be indifferent and uninvolved in life around them. I thought that following up a poem about unnecessary swearing with a poem in which there are unnecessary swearwords (shit and fuck) was amusing, as if the second poem is an example of the first.

Asshat, what I find especially interesting about these short works is the viewpoint of the speaker in them, which to me sometimes seems to be different than your own (the writer's). For example, your poem about the man soiling himself seems to show the viewer of the man feeling curiosity and some disgust, which may or may not be what *you* actually feel about this man (who I assume is imagined...or did you actually see someone like that?). The viewpoint of the "Disrepair" poem seems to be that of a worker in the facility, as well as some curious, uninvolved onlooker or visitor.

Similarly, I interpret the final poem ("Neutrality") as a condemnation of someone who has no opinions and can't be bothered to learn enough about what is outside of himself to form them. So, I assume you, as the author, actually have opinions and are writing as you might if you were a person who had none. I like the dissonance between the viewpoint presented in the poems and that which I assume the author has. I also like the ironic tone that I, at least, hear in some of the poems, such as when you write:

Of course, maybe you *are* just writing your own thoughts and views directly in the poems! Do my interpretations of the poems seem very different from what you intended them to say?

--Veg

I guess I'll give you a run down.

1st poem-

It's about a guy in pysc ward-(I was in a pysc ward but never fouled myself)...The first stanza or two is more general. The third stanza is the people who work in the ward that have to deal with this guy. I don't necessarily feel any disgust towards this guy...I'm just trying to give a more vivid impression.I thinks there's a mixture of pity, compassion, and disgust when dealing with any down and out person.

2nd poem-

....isn't about swearing so much as irrational anger....I guess it would be like a loud rambling homeless guy...he's pissed off about something and wants to be heard, but nobody really understands what he's pissed off about so they just ignore him.Even if what he's getting pissed off at is completely bizzare or incomprehensible...it's a completely normal reason to get pissed off for him.

3rd poem-

This isn't any kind of statement...I honestly don't give a ****.