Music Banter - View Single Post - History of Heavy Metal Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 04:46 AM   #51 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Often seen people say that about Small Faces but I think the potential root bands for metal are almost endless.
Indeed - there is no single root band, as this thread highlights. Especially when you take into consideration the plethora of different ways in which metal has "split" itself up.

It is interesting that certain bands and names appear at the roots more often than others - The Who, for example are probably the most unlikey, given the complete antithesis of the Mod scene with Rockers, as shown particularly in their film Quadrophenia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The Quiet Riot covers of Slade songs are just about listenable and they were largely responsible for the wave of terrible Glam/Hair metal bands that swept the USA in the 80`s, boy....have they and Slade got a lot to answer for, but the again some good did come of this with the emergence of Guns`n`Roses for example, but more importantly ushered the emergence of Thrash Metal to bring the agression back into metal.
Can't say I find any of Quiet Riot's material "listenable"

However, they are an important link in the chain from Iggy and the Stooges -> Alice Cooper -> New York Dolls -> Kiss -> QR -> "Hair Metal" (and, of course, UK Glam Rock as mentioned above).

Like it or not, the NWoBHM took a lot of cues (mainly visual, fortunately!) from Glam, and in return, Glam stole its heaviest aspects from "proper" metal, so the two kind of fed each other.

I'm not sure how QR "ushered the emergence of Thrash...", but certainly, Randy+Ozzy was as vital an influence as Judas Priest.
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote