Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs that DEFINE Metal
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
Certif1ed
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seragon Ripper View Post
Bands like Sepultura and Tang Dynasty definitely define parts of cultural metal. Sepultura have used cultural instruments in their music and also based quite a bit of their songs on the whole idea. X Japan have also based their band on cultural exploitations. They define the metal of their culture and possibly the whole idea of cultural metal.
I'm vaguely familiar with Sepultura - they're still on my "must get around to listen to" list. Any suggestions of albums/songs to start with - which one is best to start off with, and which really shows the cultural side??

I've never heard of those other bands - could you make similar recommendations for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboy View Post
Master! Master!....Metallica and Slayer were my first tastes of metal so "Master of Puppets" and "Raining Blood" are the 2 songs that define it for me. And 2 songs I doubt I will EVER get sick of.
Word.

My favourites from those legendary albums are "Battery" and "Criminally Insane" respectively.

I'd say, however, that "Master...", while an astonishing piece, goes so far beyond the remit of metal that it redefines what the genre can be - and I'm not sure anyone has caught up with it yet.

The album itself, as a collective whole, is certainly a definition of what metal could be if it tried to - rich and varied, rather than micro-focussed into a myriad of similar sounding subgenres.

After "Ride The Lightning", I'd say it's the second Progressive Metal album proper - and, as an expression of heavy metal, it's without equal.

"Reign in Blood" is a different redefinition - there's not a huge amount of variation, but there's enough that what it achieves within a narrow vein is perfect, and remains a benchmark of brutality, speed and heavy metal intensity combined with a perfect feel for what's "right".

It's in no way a corporate clone or a product tailored to fit a market - it's raw heavy metal, like it or not, and it kicks serious ass.

IMHO
Certif1ed is offline   Reply With Quote