Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 10 Rap Artists
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #386 (permalink)
Jester
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotesque Head View Post
No they didn't.

Beastie Boys have never ever been good rappers (you used the term rap, so I assume you're referring to rappers), they do, however, have fantastic production and variety on their albums, which can be equally attributed to their choice of producers (Dust Brothers, for example).

As for Public Enemy, as far as I'm aware, they helped to pioneer a new aggressively political approach to rapping - but in terms of the music itself that's more or less it (I may be very wrong with this).

I personally think you're underestimating Rakim's influence on Hip Hop. Literally all Hip Hop after Eric B. & Rakim bears his influence in it's rapping style (except instrumental Hip Hop, obviously), and it's not a stretch to call him the greatest rapper of all time (although there are other contenders, obviously).

I did say Rakim influenced Hip Hop on a musical level, not a mainstream popularity level - so Will Smith's grammy win is irrelevant.

Anyway, it's all opinions in the end so who cares.
WHAT

No, man. Beastie Boys are fantastic rappers, they're incredibly smart. They referenced everything in the world ever, they're like what Family Guy wishes it could be. Plus, they're some of the funnest people in hip hop that have existed; they crushed racial boundaries and made hip hop accessible to anyone while still being creative and SMART.

Public Enemy influenced everything. Chuck D was one of the early rappers to experiment with rhyme schemes and moved hip hop (lyrically) into a socially conscious monster. He pretty much pioneered a variation of hardcore rap. Plus, they were the first to deploy a comic foil (Flava Flav) to create perfect balance, and the production is equally important, revolutionary, and influential. They REALLY messed with sampling and did a lot for it, and the Bomb Squad also valued spaciousness as well as relentlessness - and made it work. Their instrumentals were energetic, chaotic, interesting and NEW. Flava Flav was also one of the first visual spectaculars in rap music. Seriously, man. No one fucks with Public Enemy, they did it all.

I wouldn't argue Rakim being more influential than them, I'd say they had relatively equal contributions to hip hop. Rakim basically invented modern lyrical technique, but, personally, I don't think his music really stands the test of time. I would never argue and say he's not good or call him unimportant, he IS in the top 10, indubitably. The only reason that I could say that Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys were maybe more influential than Rakim was the fact that they became household names, and have stood against the test of time.

Bleh, if you wanted to place Rakim above people in his list, you could have easily used the Sugarhill Gang or A Tribe Called Quest or Big Daddy Kane. Not that these people aren't important, but Rakim definitely surpasses them, and I don't even think I'd put any of them in a top 10 based on importance.

By the way, nah, I don't think Will Smith did much for rap. Just because he was clean he got an award, big deal.

Last edited by Jester; 10-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote