Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #4318 (permalink)
dollarsandcents
more tea vicar?

Sigur Rós - Heima

Beautiful. Memorable. Uplifting.

Can't find enough superlatives for this cinematic masterpiece. I guess it helped being a fan of Sigur Rós and having a long running infatuation with the country of Iceland, but I think I would have enjoyed it just as much if I didn't have this predisposition. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was amazing. If you aren't aware of the premise, it's basically documenting a tour of Iceland undertaken by Sigur Rós after finishing their World tour. They visited an array of isolated, remote and desolate locations to perform a free concert for these remote communities.

The film really caputured the spirit of the country, and the beauty and ethics which have influenced the music of Sigur Rós. They perform in a disused factory (affected by the decline in the fishing industry) and in a potential damming site for HEP and aluminium industry. This incorporates some of the burning issues involved with Icelandic politics, giving a brief insight into some of the contrasting attitudes of different communities. Along with this, the main selling point is obviously the beautiful and enchanting music, coupled with images of Iceland. It's amazing to see the sense of community in thie country, with whole families turning up ranging from grandparents to children, and everyone in between.

I was really moved by the beauty of this film. The end track is epic and a worthy ending for a stunning piece of cinema. I'm sure fans of cinema in general would enjoy this film, as well as fans of the band too. I'd definitely recommend it!

dollarsandcents is offline   Reply With Quote