Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #182 (permalink)
Berni
Music Addict

Hey Pete, been meaning to respond to you for a little while. The dark cabaret seems like a logical direction to explore. There used to a group from Boston called the Dresden Dolls that I think would fall into that territory. I haven't listened to them myself but they got a lot of buzz for their dark theatrics.
Been poking through your files and got some stuff, thanks. Especially for Joey Allcorn and Headwater, I'd been trying to locate those and they aren't on emusic. When I get some time I'll follow your uploading advice and get some of my collection up.

Unkindness - welcome! I've got Two Gallants but don't think of them as Southern blues inspired. I thought that they were west coast emo kids! You're right about them being depressing, though. I must be twisted, I don't mind that.

What do labels mean anyway? I still can't wrap my head around "post-modernism" for instance. Just what the heck is that? Or emo? Still, they work as general guideposts, I suppose. My metalhead son can hairsplit between deathcore, screamo, and a gazillion sub-genres that sound the same to me.
Berni is offline   Reply With Quote