Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #138 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Song of the Day

Surfer Girl- Dave Alvin This reworking of the classic Brian Wilson song Surfer Girl by Dave Alvin is well worth a listen. Dave was the founder of the seminal Los Angeles rockabilly group the Blasters. Dave left the Blasters in the late 80s and played bass with the punk band X before moving on to a solo career playing a wide range of music from the traditional American folkways.

Surfer Girl comes from Dave Alvin's 12th solo album West of the West (2006). You betcha.. Dave has really made that many albums since he left the Blasters...he recently released his 14th solo album Dave Alvin and the Guilty Women. The Blasters are still playing gigs and recorder under the leadership of his brother and co-founder of the Blasters, Phil Alvin.

Dave sings Surfer Girl in his countrified baritone voice and transforms it into a doo wop song complete with a quartet of harmony singers. Dave also adds beautiful reverb drenched guitar fills on his vintage Telecaster. I like his arrangement almost as much as Brian Wilson's orginal arrangement for the Beach Boys' 1963 recording of the song.

DON'T FORGET! Tommorrow (Sunday November 8th) kicks off my all instrumental song-of-the-day week in which I'll share some of my favorite rock, jazz, and blues instumentals.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote