Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the sound in my headphones today?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #166 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Welcome back Jack, it's been awhile since you did an entry to your venerable Headphones diary. My thoughts on the music:

I loved Mr. Scruff's song, especially the muted trumpet. It sounds like a prime cut from the heyday of acid jazz and trip hop. Isn't one of the samples a Louis Jordan riff ? Damn I wish I could think of the name of the song. This music is right up my alley and I spend a great deal of time listening to similar jazz remix projects like Thievery Corporation's rexmixes of the Verve catalog and the Ultra Chilled collection which just released it's sixth volume of remixes. Mr. Scruff is definitely on my must-have list.

Chinese Man is a group from Marseille that I've heard and love. They have a wacked out sense of humor like Orb and remix some very noirish sounding jazz. I think there's some Cab Calloway samples in Antichaut. In fact I'm thinking the horn samples are either the Calloway band or the Basie band.

Parov Stelar is a relative newcomer that I've heard a lot about but never actually heard. It sounds like swing era jazz with a big beat. It reminds me of Dr. Buzzard's Savannah Band a New York City R&B band that experimented with big beat swing riddims and even had a memorable hit with the song Cherchez Le Femme in the 70s. Once again you've unearthed another jewel from a musical genre that is near and dear to my heart.

The final song (is it by Dita?) isn't as outstanding as the other three songs but the other three are so well selected they blow away most acid jazz remixes. That being said, I'd still listen to and play Dark Burlesque on my radio show because I only have a few minor quibles with the way it was remixed.

All things considered, I give your selections 3.73 "thumbs up" out of 4. It's a fantastic post with some fantastic music.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote