Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #152 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_phantom13 View Post
I'm not sure if I'd consider that bad news... The band released a new must have in their catalog that, imo, is much better than anything released on Geffen. The definitely came down in quality as time went on on a major label, but luckily they're back at their finest. Have you ever heard any SYR releases? Last year they released something with Merzbow that was definitely one of my favorites, that marked following SY again for me.
I was being facetious with bad news item of Sonic Youth getting sacked by Geffen. I think it's the best thing that could have happened to SY at this stage in their career.

The band really lost me when the went to Geffen and what's really bad is Geffen purchased most their back catalog on Neutral, SST, and Enigma Records except for Confusion Is Sex which Geffen took a pass on, for some odd reason . So Geffen's hyrda headed infotainment monolilth is official owner of most Sonic Youth's back catalog of studio releases, except for the newest release on Matador Records. I'm sure the Geffen plan is to devalue up the Sonic Youth catalog of studio releases with a deluge of repackaged SY anthologies. That's the real bad news about the end of Sonic Youth's relationship with Geffen.

I'm not sure about the extent of Geffen's financial ownership in SYR but there's there's 13 albums on SYR and another 13 (maybe even more) owned by Geffen. I'll do some research on the ownership of SYR because you've made me curious. The major labels often set up "indie bands" wih their own pseudo indie labels to give them street cred. SYR may actually be a in-house boutique label is under the ownership of the Geffen monolilth.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 11-30-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote