Music Banter - View Single Post - The Monthly Music Trading Post
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #925 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Shizotypic sent me

GRINDERMAN - GRINDERMAN (2007)

I like to consider myself somewhat of a Nick Cave fan but i've yet to really delve into the mans back catalogue bar a Greatest Hits compilation and I think two or three studio albums so I was more than willing to recieve this.

Grinderman was a Bad Seeds side project that spawned just the one album and by the sounds of it was aimed at taking a very different musical route than a lot of previous material. It sounds like a very well worked mix between some dirty blues and hard garage rock.

The album surprised me in a way. I suppose i didnt really know what to expect but No Pussy Blues is outright sleaze and tracks like Honey Bee (Lets Fly to Mars) and Love Bomb among others are powerful, loud and sometimes chaotic garage rock with no downtempo moments or a ballad in sight.

Theres nothing too complex about the record, its fairly straightforward aggressive rock music but has the potential to become an album i start to dig out at parties or play through some quality earphones when i need something to wake me up or put me in a more positive mood. The only downside as far as I can tell is that the album is relatively short, i just played it twice back to back.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote