Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #157 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Song of the Day
Notable Albums of 2009

Notable Album of 2009 XX by The XX

Islands- by The XX The album cover artwork is dull and the name of the band could be easily mistaken for the venerable Los Angeles punk band with a single "X". To make matters worse, the All Music Guide lists 11 different bands with some variation of "XX" in their name, including three bands using "XX" and two bands using "The XX".

All of this attendant confusion with the name of the band made me reluctant to even give The XX album a fair and impartial day in court.

Beware of strange musical gifts bearing the alternative/indie label, but to be safe, give the band a cursory listening just in case they're as good as everyone thinks they are.

In the case of the XX my jaded logic as follows: if the band was worth listening to, they'd come up with more imaginative name for themselves. I'm glad that I didn't allow my skeptical nature to rule the day, because I would have taken a pass on a solid debut album by a remarakbly good band. It's like finding a sting of pearls in the toxic waste dump that comprises the contemporary "alt/rock" scene.

The XX's music came my way via an Internet buzz of their first single Crystalized which hit the radar early this year. By July, the atomospheric British indie band had released this captivating self titled debut album.

What really surprised me was the youthful ages of the band members. The XX was formed just last year when all of the band members were still in high school. My, my.... It's a tender young age to have such brooding and world weary outlook on life. Of course I was impressed.

Some critics are calling The XX album the best debut album of 2009... I won't go that far but the comparisons to Shreikback, Young Marble Giants and Portishead aren't that far fetched. XX is one of those albums that improves with repeated use.

The XX

Last edited by Gavin B.; 12-15-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote