Music Banter - View Single Post - Burzum
Thread: Burzum
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #42 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Jane Devo View Post
*facepalm*

I can understand not wanting to give money to Varg, but to suggest that his music should not even be heard or appreciated in an artistic sense is not only absurd but slightly fascistic as well. I love Richard Wagner's music but that does not make me a nazi. I love Rage Against the Machine but I have no desire to violently revolt against the government.

Art and politics are two different things; anyone with half a brain can understand this. To be opposed to allowing people to think independently about these things is in line with the most anti-democratic spirit of censorship, and I'm surprised to find someone I would think to be fairly well-educated and Internet-savvy holding such a view.
You're surprised that I follow a moral principle where I try not to support nazi musicians - and you think that's slightly fascist. I don't agree. I don't think it should come as a surprise and since I'm not trying to force my opinion on others, I hardly think it's fascist.

I'm aware he's got fans who love him and I think people should have the freedom to do so - just like I have the freedom to choose who I want to listen to and why. To me, he's a racist and a murderer. For me, that has implications for whether or not I wanna listen to his music.