Music Banter - View Single Post - Why do Critics give rap albums good reviews?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
i like rap too, but i will be the first to admit that 99% of it today is garbage. i think his point is that when you seen publications like pitchfork throwing rap albums into their top lists (which seems curiously misplaced) it makes you questions their sincerity. he doesn't like rap, which kinda convolutes any decent point he has but still i think its a good question. its also weird because i have heard most of the top rap albums that pitchfork and others have been hailing as amazing and personally think most of them are ****. its just interesting...
I don't think that it's so weird for Pitchfork to put rap albums in their top lists. Don't they also list black metal and electronic albums in there? I admit I look at Pitchfork's album ratings and have for years. Even if we're going to peg these indie publications as written by and for elitist indie-nerds, I think they hype a lot of really bad music of all sorts (I dislike a huge percentage of the indie-rock they hype). There's nothing wrong with them reviewing black metal, electronic dub or rap. And there's nothing weird about some of them liking some of it. I don't see why the reviewers would be dishonest. People like different stuff.

This thread may have just as well ended with..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because in their opinion those albums are good albums. Why do you care?
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote