Why do Critics give rap albums good reviews? - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.r2009 View Post
I feel critics are almost forcing themselves to give good reviews to rap albums just so they just don't upset that audience.
That's plain idiocy. Do you think critics are scared they may get shot by a Little Wayne fan if they don't praise their hero? Do you think critics get a cut of Little Wayne's income?
One thing I like about Music Banter is that bullshit ignorant threads like this usually get locked and forgotten pretty soon.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
lieasleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 355
Default

don't put words in his mouth, i don't agree with him but i think he has a point
lieasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
don't put words in his mouth, i don't agree with him but i think he has a point
What kind of point does he have besides that he thinks rap is overrated?
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,605
Default

every since the NME in the 1980s it's been the law that every indie publication has to hype a token Hip Hop album every now and again.
It's to show off just how culturally diverse they are.

Although why you'd want to take recommendations from someone who hypes rubbish in their own genre they listen to (Hello Fleet Foxes & Black Kids) , let alone one they don't listen to much.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
don't put words in his mouth, i don't agree with him but i think he has a point
Yeah - his point is that professional music critics feel pressure to give rap albums good reviews not because they honestly like the albums but because they are afraid of "upsetting that audience". I don't understand what he means by that so I asked. Maybe you can explain his point to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
It's to show off just how culturally diverse they are.
I disagree. It's hard for me to believe that critics care that much about how they are perceived by their readers but I don't read the major publications so maybe I'm missing something. It's the job of critics to review whatever falls into their lap (which is the main reason I would not want to be one) but why is it so hard to believe that they sometimes actually like what falls there? Lord knows, people love to read negative reviews so aren't critics just as susceptible to writing bad reviews of rap just so that they don't "upset" the presumably large segment of their audience who hates rap? I dunno. As someone who likes rap I can understand occasionally liking the flavor of the month rapper so writing good rap reviews doesn't seem like some sort of disingenuous plot.
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
lieasleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 355
Default

i like rap too, but i will be the first to admit that 99% of it today is garbage. i think his point is that when you seen publications like pitchfork throwing rap albums into their top lists (which seems curiously misplaced) it makes you questions their sincerity. he doesn't like rap, which kinda convolutes any decent point he has but still i think its a good question. its also weird because i have heard most of the top rap albums that pitchfork and others have been hailing as amazing and personally think most of them are ****. its just interesting...
lieasleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 78
Default

I think the point is that critics DO hype bad albums because they have achieved a popular status. People like reading negative reviews of music they don't like, and prefer glowing reviews of that which they do. So, for popular albums in any genre of music it is possible that critics highlight the positives and minimize the flaws to protect the magazine, so to speak. This is not solely relegated to rap music though. Case in point, nearly every Nickelback CD is given great reviews regardless of worth. Of course there are critics out there who are honest, and there are critics who will give negative reviews for the shock value and sake of being different.
dark shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,845
Default

Well, it is possible that magazines are making a genuine attempt to be more diverse. It could be some big scam but if that's true then it's not going to accomplish much. Nobody reads Pitchfork for rap reviews and starting to like more rap isn't going to change that.
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
air quote
 
Engine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: pollen & mold
Posts: 3,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieasleep View Post
i like rap too, but i will be the first to admit that 99% of it today is garbage. i think his point is that when you seen publications like pitchfork throwing rap albums into their top lists (which seems curiously misplaced) it makes you questions their sincerity. he doesn't like rap, which kinda convolutes any decent point he has but still i think its a good question. its also weird because i have heard most of the top rap albums that pitchfork and others have been hailing as amazing and personally think most of them are ****. its just interesting...
I don't think that it's so weird for Pitchfork to put rap albums in their top lists. Don't they also list black metal and electronic albums in there? I admit I look at Pitchfork's album ratings and have for years. Even if we're going to peg these indie publications as written by and for elitist indie-nerds, I think they hype a lot of really bad music of all sorts (I dislike a huge percentage of the indie-rock they hype). There's nothing wrong with them reviewing black metal, electronic dub or rap. And there's nothing weird about some of them liking some of it. I don't see why the reviewers would be dishonest. People like different stuff.

This thread may have just as well ended with..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Because in their opinion those albums are good albums. Why do you care?
Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Jason86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Some people like rap, why is it hard to believe some critics honestly do? You obviously don't like rap much, since you only like one classic album, but for other people there are great rap albums.
Jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.