Music Banter - View Single Post - Which Form Of Music Has The Most Ridiculous Sub-genres?
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin B. View Post
There's so too many redundant subgenres already. I gave up on keeping track of musical category creep a long time ago. In the future every band will have it's own unique subgenre. Do I really need to know what "Symphonic Black Metal" is to be informed about music?
maybe you don't, but i do. it is not redundant at all. as i don't like a large part of black metal, i would literally never check out a symphonic black metal band, whereas i would check out a band described as atmospheric black metal. no doubt you find that "redundant", but really why is there any reason for you to care at all if you don't listen to it enough to see the difference?

whoever wrote for that website you are referencing does not have a very in-depth understanding of what they are writing about. regardless, your opinion is unjustified and unwarranted. do you really think people use the terms you deem ridiculous for marketing? when was the last time you saw a "symphonic black metal" section in wherever you purchase music? - assuming you even do. i have seen godspeed you! black emperor in the "rock/pop" section of an HMV. yeah, sounds like a very "elite" "marketing ploy".

Quote:
I'm musical pluralist who opposes any and all category creep in music because it's an elitist trend and it kills joy of music.
actually, you're an idiot with what i expect to be a very limited taste in music. no one should have any problem with specific sub-genres. it helps one understand exactly what is being presented - if they are willing to actually listen to and learn about it. if they aren't they what is the problem? i'm baffled that this is even an issue. "more information that anyone needs" - if you have brain damage, maybe. then again, you're right, maybe you should save as much of your brain's space as possible. it'd be a shame if you forgot how to breathe.

"I really don't know what Emo or Twee music is and I really don't want to know what Emo or Twee music is." then shut the fuck up. no one is going to stop using terms that help them understand music because you can't manage to comprehend "complex" categories.
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote