Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #853 (permalink)
Akira
Dazed and confuzzled

So now it's two important albums??

Nobody is debating how good ITAOTS is, we can bitch about that in the albums very own thread. We are talking about Hall of Fame status, a supposed cream of the crop of music. There are plenty of artists that I love who I would still vote 'no' for simply because it's not a popularity contest.

Then take a look at past arguments, let's take The Beach Boys as an example. Some people judged them solely on their best known album and said no. Now I don't think too highly of Pet Sounds other than a couple of tracks, yet I understand how important it is and how influencial it has been. But some people who said no based on that one album are now saying yes to NMH mostly based on one album, so does that mean that they are saying ITAOS is a more important and influencial (not better) album than Pet Sounds? Are we also saying that NMH have done more for music than The Beach Boys?

I'll re-iterate the main point for every artist that comes up:

This is not a popularity contest. The question isn't 'do you like this artist?' The question is whether or not they deserve to be in the Hall Of Fame, whether they have contributed enough to the music scene and/or to popular culture to warrant being set apart from the majority of acts and put into that elite group of important artists.

If you can fully justify to yourself that they deserve a yes, then vote yes, but so far the only reasons are that people like the group and the album and that one album is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.