Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Banter Hall Of Fame: Nominations Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #1385 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
You should have been here long enough to know that the argument you're using is as terrible as it is ****. Who gives a **** who influenced who? Waits came back from Europe a new man, and Beefheart alone didn't make him.

To suggest that I should vote him in because I like waits in intellectually bankrupt.

He's not my thing at this current juncture and i voted no. Half the genre's you list that he influenced is even more of a reason for me to vote no. I hate most things about punk and its only gotten worse since 1977. The more I "should" vote for someone, the more they influenced "my favorite artists" the more I vote against them.

I didn't know I only had two favorite artists, or if that, by definition, is even possible.

Any by the by, way to discredit Satchmo, arguably the biggest influence on him. You would want to take away credit from a black artist, you racist ****. I bet you're going to be offended by this too, aren't you? Can't take a joke, can you? Well you know what, I think the best thing for these boards is some sensitivity training. I don't know when you sold yourself to the communist party, but you should reevaluate your life.
nigga please.

i'm not suggesting that you should vote for him, just commenting that your statement "what he added to the musical landscape doesn't seem too valuable" is a load of bollocks. which it is.

i'm aware you don't like Beefheart. i'm also aware that a great number of musicians (some of which i'm sure you listen to) are influenced by him. i thought that it might be a natural assumption to think that you'd be intrigued by his music. obviously not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I'm mixed on this.

On one hand he influenced shitload of stuff I like, but on the other I hardly ever feel the need to actually listen to him.

It's all very well saying he influenced loads of stuff I like , but if I prefer what those other bands did with it rather than what Beefheart did with it, well it doesn't really say much about him.

I'll come back to this one.
i feel like you might enjoy some of his later material, it's a more subtle shade of insanity. Doc at the Radar Station is especially good.

and yeah, a lot of artists took their spin on his material in completely different directions. although it is sometimes difficult to pick up on those influences (at least without being explicitly told so). apparently he was a primary influence on Jeffrey Lee Pierce and D. Boon, awesome in my book.