Music Banter - View Single Post - Haiti
Thread: Haiti
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticipation View Post
I'm not attacking people because they're donating, nor am I expressing any nationalistic agenda. I'm just asking where was the support before the disaster? Where was the telethons and celebrity campaigning and massive charitable donations when there was no earthquake? People in Haiti have been suffering for longer than two or three months, people have been dying and living in abject squalor for hundreds of years. It just seems to me that people are content to let others suffer and feel no moral need to help them out unless a catastrophic event takes place. In my eyes, the only difference between pre-earthquake Haiti and post-earthquake Haiti will be urban topography. In a few years time there will not be any significant change in the lives of the Haitian people, nor any other people who are suffering, because people don't care about their fellow man.
I had no idea about Haiti before this disaster, as did half the world. It might be ignorance but the world is a big place. I think this disaster highlighted their poverty and encouraged people to help due to not being able to support themselves or recover at all. The fact is, there are plenty of countries in Africa that are in poverty but do not recieve the proper support they need. So if people can help when they can, the governments need to be the sole providers of aid to those less fortunate.