Music Banter - View Single Post - Ramones vs. The Clash
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #294 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
It's also a vastly overstated influence.

Sure Steve Jones was into the New York Dolls but he was just as much into Bowie & Roxy Music.
Lydon hated all the New York stuff, he was into Alice Cooper, Can & Hawkwind.

People overstate the New York influence far too much.
I see it as Punk having two different pools of influence on either side of the Atlantic. There is a thread of influence that runs from Frat Rock into Garage Rock into Punk the inbetween Garage and punk became to be known as "Proto-Punk" - a retronym. Acid Rock and Glam Rock has some influnce too, one thread of influence not mention is from Dick Dale, Surf Rock, The Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys and they in turned were influnced by Dick Dale. Johnny Ramone began as a bass player then switch to guitar, and played his guitar similar to playing bass where he played 5th chords in I IV V progression. imo The Ramones really had the classic Punk sound (they innovated it and kept it where other bands it was a passing thing.)

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards