Music Banter - View Single Post - Aphex Twin
Thread: Aphex Twin
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #96 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
thought i would revive this thread since i'm kind of on an aphex twin binge today.

come to daddy is probably my favorite bit of work by him...saw1 a close second. he apparently experiences synesthesia while making music and also incorporates what he experiences with lucid dreaming. no wonder a lot of his stuff is totally off the wall.
Come to Daddy is great, probably my second favorite, but I think Richard D. James album is my favorite. Probably because it was the first I heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrenfell View Post
selected ambient works 85-92 is an album you need to have, dont bother with the 2nd volume, as i read someone in this thread say, it songs dont give you enough and go on for too long.
I wouldn't dismiss SAWII. I don't listen to it much, but it's quality stuff. Yes it's long, but if you don't try to take it all in in one sitting, it's cool. I used to put it on to fall asleep to. Actually I used to sleep to RDJ Album too, not sure how that worked. SAWI is great and a classic, I just really hate the sound quality. I have a hard time listening to it nowadays.

You guys listen to any of his AFX stuff? He just re-released all of the Analord EPs digitally (they were only vinyl before) with about a dozen new/unreleased tracks spread out over the different EPs. There are some great ones.

http://www.rephlex.com

There's supposed to be a new Aphex album this year (rumored by one of the label heads at Warp Records)...but who knows with this guy. It's definitely going to be a great year for the genre, though. A handful of great new albums were released by Rephlex (in the link above), and Warp seems like it will put out an album from each of its heavyweights with Autechre's new one in March, Plaid's long awaited new album sometime in the first half of the year, supposedly new Aphex Twin and supposedly new Boards of Canada (last two are unconfirmed but rumored). I'd love to hear a new EP from Clark, too.